Thursday, February 19, 2026
HomeNewsMiddle EastWashington plans to push forward with the implementation of second phase of...

Washington plans to push forward with the implementation of second phase of Gaza ceasefire agreement.. and Trump will meet with Netanyahu on the 18th of this month

The White House plans to hold the first meeting of leaders of the so-called Peace Council launched by President Donald Trump regarding the Gaza Strip on February 19, according to the American website Axios, citing a US official and diplomats from four member countries of the council.

A report by BBC Arabic stated that Axios clarified that the meeting is planned to be held at the United States Institute of Peace in Washington, D.C., and aims to push forward the implementation of the second phase of the ceasefire agreement in Gaza, in addition to mobilizing the necessary funding for the reconstruction of the sector.

First meeting

Axios quoted a US official as saying that the meeting would be the first of its kind for the council, and would coincide with a fundraising conference for reconstruction.

The report indicated that preparations are still in their early stages and may change, while the White House declined to officially comment on these plans to Axios. No comment was issued by the White House or the US State Department in response to Reuters’ inquiries.

Widespread Skepticism

Axios reported that the announcement of the council’s formation last month was met with widespread skepticism, particularly from Western allies who declined to join, partly due to the broad powers granted to the council and President Donald Trump’s unilateral veto power over its decisions.

In mid-November, the UN Security Council passed a resolution authorizing the Council and cooperating countries to establish an international force to stabilize Gaza, where a fragile ceasefire began in October, under a plan proposed by Trump and agreed to by Israel and Hamas.

Trump to meet Netanyahu on 18th

The report indicated that Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is scheduled to meet with Trump at the White House on February 18, one day before the anticipated meeting.

Netanyahu had accepted Trump’s invitation for Israel to join the council, but has not yet signed its charter.

Axios added that if Netanyahu participates in the Peace Council meeting, it will be his first public appearance with Arab and Muslim leaders since before the October 7 attacks and the war in Gaza.

Trump launched the council in late January, with himself as its chairman, and said it aimed to resolve global conflicts, raising concerns among many experts that the framework would undermine the role of the United Nations.

Under Trump’s Gaza plan, unveiled late last year, the council was to oversee the interim administration of the sector, before Trump later said its scope of work would expand to include other global conflicts.

RELATED ARTICLES

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisment -spot_img

Most Popular

Recent Comments